It's so hard to keep an insect blog sparkling and appealing during a long Chicago winter. Plus I'm bored- the holidays are over. Key West is still weeks away. The weather is just dull. A meme might liven things up. This one's from a pretty cool blog called Guadalupe Storm Petrel
. I found it when I was doing a Google search on island endemic birds. It's a random list of thigs one might do. I've bolded the ones I've actually done.1. Started my own blog2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band4. Visited Hawaii5. Watched a meteor shower6. Given more than I can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/world8. Climbed a mountain9. Held a praying mantis
- This is noteworthy?
10. Sung a solo
11. Bungee jumped12. Visited Paris13. Watched lightning at sea14. Taught myself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty18. Grown my own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train21. Had a pillow fight22. Hitchhiked
(sadly, no racy stories)
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb- Gary Lee
or Gary could probably help me achieve this one.26. Gone skinny dipping-
occasionally with others
27. Run a Marathon- But Leon has. Twice.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice29. Seen a total eclipse
Two, actually.30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run32. Been on a cruise
- but not until about a year ago.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught myself a new language37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
- being gainfully employed for an uninterrupted 25 years helps.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person39. Gone rock climbing
- Mostly during grad school. I gave it up. Too many wasp stings. Try injecting yourself with epinephrine while dangling from a rope some time.
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
- sadly never in a romantic context.
46. Been transported in an ambulance47. Had my portrait painted
I may be cheating a bit here. It was pastels rather than paints. I was 12 at the time.
48. Gone deep sea fishing - but I've fished in the ocean many, many times
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris 51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling52. Kissed in the rain
- Um, once was even with a girl
.53. Played in the mud54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie- Nope. Not all of us can experience the glamor of being a cowboy zombie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies62. Gone whale watching
- I've even seen the whales.
63. Got flowers for no reason64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
-but my blood has been unwelcome for many years.
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp67. Bounced a check
:-(68. Flown in a helicopter69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
- My stuffed elephant Tuzzy70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial71. Eaten caviar
72. Pieced a quilt73. Stood in Times Square
- Years ago, it was pretty seedy back then.74. Toured the Everglades
- Does canoeing count?
75. Been fired from a job76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
- Briefly, from a taxi while driving from the train station to Heathrow.77. Broken a bone
-two, actually. Not at the same time.78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
- The driver was straight, but I still enjoyed hanging on while speeding through town.79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person Edited to add: My Dad and I even had to carry Chilmark Girl back from Bright Angel Point (she was recovering from mono).
80. Published a book- Only a chapter
81. Visited the Vatican82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem84. Had my picture in the newspaper
- yeah, Media Madness
and all that. (A lot of the links on that page have expired).85. Read the entire Bible-
not in one sitting, of course.
86. Visited the White House87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
- Trout88. Had chickenpox89. Saved someone’s life90. Sat on a jury
- For one afternoon. Then the defendant (an insurance company) settled.91. Met someone famous92. Joined a book club93. Lost a loved one
- too many.
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit98. Owned a cell phone
- OMG I just got a new iPhone!!!99. Been stung by a bee
- Once it even resulted in full-blown anaphylactic shock.
100. Ridden an elephant
55/100. Not bad.
Labels: Meme, Personal