Hi. My name is Doug and I'm a geek.
Ten things that give me away.
1. I love the periodic table of the elements. It’s one of the coolest things that I know of. Mendeleev rocks! A coworker owns a copy of the table that is actually autographed by Glenn Seaborg. I totally covet it.
2. I wear Dockers. And I don’t care.
3. In the 1980s, after I saw a Nova episode about his work, I developed a crush on Stephen Jay Gould.
4. I have never seen a single episode of Survivor, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars.
5. I know how to use a slide rule (though I’m badly out of practice).
6. Growing up, the TV programs that most influenced me were Jonny Quest and Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. This combination marks me not only as geeky, but gay and geeky.
7. When I still lived in Massachusetts, I met two famous people. I was much more taken by meeting Harold Edgerton than by meeting Liza Minelli.
(OK, that one loses me all of the remaining points on my gay card).
8. From the time I was about 10, the two things that I listed as what I wanted to be when I grew up were a scientist (really meaning a field biologist) and a meteorologist. Option #1 won.
9. I was on the debate team in high school.
10. My one possession that could be described as fag-fabulous is a test tube rack.