I was recently tagged by MarkH to do a meme.
- Simply tell us 10 things about you that we don’t already know or would find interesting.
1. I was a born-again Christian for high school and part of college. I attended a Chirstian coffehouse sponsored by Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. We were all reading and discussing writers like C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald (and, of course, the Bible). I was completely committed to that world view until I took a course in Biblical literature in college and was exposed to textual criticism.
2. Although I enjoy music, I am hopelessly un-musical. I have sometimes suspected that I was deprived of music at a critical period of brain development. Some of my tastes in music are fairly pedestrian, but some totally baffle people. I enjoy heavy metal and alternative (the Butthole Surfers rock). My partner is puzzled by my recent interest in country and western.
3. I have never taken a single formal course in entomology. My undergraduate degree is in biology. For my doctoral work, I studied biochemistry. Now people treat me as though I’m a bug expert. Shh…don’t tell anyone, ‘K?
4. I am just completing my fifth decade of life. Three of the decades (first, third and fifth) have been wonderful. I’m hoping that the sixth does not follow the pattterns of the second and fourth.
5. Cats are the most wonderful creatures on the planet. This is not my opinion- it’s an objectively verifiable fact. Just ask the cats.
6. I was painfully shy growing up. Back then, if someone had suggested that as an adult I would be doing lots of public speaking and appearing on television and radio with some regularity, I would have thought they were nuts.
7. I was born on Cape Cod. I offer this one because it appeals to my sense of romanticism.
8. I am extremely glad that the whole "reparative therapy" for sexual orientation fakery was not discussed widely during my adolescence. Although I have been fully out for over half my life, I had lots of trouble coming to terms with my sexual orientation in my late teens (see #1). Had I thought I could be "cured" back then, I might have pursued one of those damaging options.
9. I was 26 before I had my own car.
10. I have wanted to be a scientist since I was 12.